Tower House Cottage


Tower House Cottage is a modernized 18th Century stone cottage, a hundred yards from the riverbank, on the south side of the River Tweed. From the cottage windows there are superb views of the Elizabethan town walls of Berwick and the mouth of the River Tweed, with its pier and lighthouse and the sea beyond. Seals, Otters and river birds are often seen in the river estuary.

The cottage, within the grounds of Tower House, a 1734 Grade II listed building, has access to a peaceful south facing one-acre garden. It is only a short walk from Berwick town centre where there are numerous shops, bars, restaurants and galleries, including the local Maltings Arts Centre and also close to local beaches.

The natural beauty and architectural heritage of Berwick upon Tweed can be discovered by walking around the Elizabethan walled defences, which cover a distance of slightly over one mile. The walls date from 1558 and are the best preserved in Europe and the only complete set in the UK. Surrounding the old town they form a stark reminder of Berwick’s turbulent Border history.

Tower House cottage is an ideal base for exploring the many sandy beaches, rock pools and fossil beds which form part of north England’s Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.


Welcome to Tower House Cottage Website

“We had the most wonderful stay, with fantastic views of the river Tweed across to Berwick upon Tweed and the Walls.”

View from Cottage